Saturday, January 13, 2018

A drink to your health : Golden Milk

Gold gives to the ugliest thing, a certain charming air...

Did you know that the flu season in US is now being considered epidemic and has peaked one month before the "real peak" season. Since October, the number of flu-related deaths has slowly crept up to 27 with the much publicized H3N2 strain of the virus. My entire family fell sick over Christmas and New Year and we are slowly stumbling back to normalcy. However, my son K2 looked a little down and when I took his temperature - sure enough it read between 101-102 yesterday...I was one worried mama.

This morning I did what my mother did when we fell sick in India...I gave him Haldi Doodh (Turmeric Milk) or more fondly called "Golden Milk/Latte" in the US. My recipe has come down our family for years and was given for fever, cough & colds and I remember my mother shoving it down my brother's throat when he hit his head and cut himself and was bleeding profusely (this was after the stitches 😉)
I won't go gaga over the taste ( I saw videos on how amazing it tastes - warming and earthy)- let me tell you that me and my brother would run around the house to avoid having to drink this...it doesn't taste all that great. Here's my son's expression drinking it today 😆
Honestly it was better than I remembered it being and all of us drank a cup of this golden magical elixir - it is anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, boosts brain function and heart health and helps with joint health...more than that for me it was the comfort that I was sharing a small part of my traditional health remedies that had been passed down generations.

How to make Golden Milk in your Instant Pot?

Ingredients

  • 1/2 Spoon Organic Turmeric Root Powder
  • 2 cups of Milk (I used 1% Organic) -- if you are vegan you can substitute with Almond or Coconut Milk
  • 1 cup of Water ( you can use 3 cups of milk if you want to)
  • 8 Freshly Crushed Tellicherry Peppercorns ( black pepper helps with the absorption of curcumin and is warming in the cold/flu season)
  • Shredded Ginger (micro plane) - smallish knob - use as much as you are comfortable taking in your drink
  • 4-5 Cardamom pods (crushed)
  • 3 teaspoons of Jaggery (if you don't have jaggery, add honey when you are ready to drink, don't cook the honey as it loses a lot of it's medicinal value)
How To?
  1. I just added all these ingredients in my mini-pot (3 Qt)
  2. Set it on Manual for 4 minutes (high pressure) - NR
  3. Strain and Drink
Can you make it on your stove top?

Absolutely - the process takes roughly 15 minutes

As I mentioned before - this is an acquired taste but if you acquire this taste, I promise you - you are adding a powerful arsenal to taking care of yourself. I raise my cup to your health.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I have used a variation of this every day for the past year for my arthritis. After one year, I am no longer using a scooter or cane, and am able to climb stairs again! This is truly remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just brilliant Nidia! I am so glad ! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete