Sunday, January 11, 2015

Healthy Eating : Beans Two Ways

"Beans...Beans...Healthy for the Heart,
The more you eat them...the more you fart..."
K2 sang this silly song as I was soaking a mix of  8 beans ( Adzuki, Cranberry, Pinto, Canellini, Navy, Lima, Black, Kidney) in the AM today. Yes, there was some vague notion in my mind to make something with the beans...only thing was I had soaked too much of it.

I  loved reading Dr. Fuhrman's  book - Eat to Live. It makes a lot of sense nutritionally -- I will be the first to admit that it wasn't Diet that made me lose the last stubborn 20 pounds but exercise. I love the idea of GBOMBS that Dr. Fuhrman talks about - an acronym you can use to remember the most nutrient-dense, health-promoting foods on the planet. These are the foods you should eat every day, and they should make up a significant proportion of your diet (these foods are extremely effective at preventing chronic disease and promoting health and longevity). I incorporate the GBOMBS pretty intensively in my everyday cooking.
In case you were wondering  GBOMBS are -
G = Greens (Kale, Spinach)
B = Beans
O= Onions (Garlic)
M = Mushrooms 
B = Berries
S = Seeds
This weekend was a little different - I was binge watching "The Good Wife" snuggled under my comforter with K1 thoughtfully supplying me with chai and take-out for almost 20 hours. I roused myself from one of the seven deadly sins (sloth just in case you were wondering...) and got around to cleaning, laundry and some cooking this PM. Of course, the soaked beans were staring at me (and there was too much of it)...so I ended up cooking 2 dishes with it.

Adai ( High Protein Beans Crepes)

  • 2 Cups Mixed Beans (soaked overnight)
  • 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats (soaked 1-2 hrs)
  • 1 Carrot Stick (large)
  • 1 Serrano Chilly
  • Handful of Cilantro
  • Pinch of Hing , 1 tsp whole Jeera and salt to taste
Blend the mix on Pulse till it reaches the desired consistency (I usually do this in less than a minute on my Blendtec ).




Bean and Sausage Stew

  • 6 Oz Greens (spinach)
  • Soaked Mixed Beans (2 Cups)
  • 2 Red Onions, 1/2 Head of Garlic
  • 2 Roma Tomatoes
  • 6 Oz Button Mushrooms
  • 3 Carrots (large)
  • Organic Chicken Stock
  • Worcestershire sauce
  •  Chicken Sausage (1 pack)
In the pressure cooker - sweat the  onions and garlic, when caramelized -add the Aidells Organic Chicken Sausage, cook for 3 minutes --- add the tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, carrots -- cook for 4 minutes. Now add the soaked beans, the Worcestershire sauce  and 24 Oz of Chicken Stock (more if you want it more soupy vs. stewy). Best eaten hot with toasted Beckmann's California Black bread.



I am back to watching "The Good Wife" and getting mentally ready for the work week. How has your weekend been?

No comments:

Post a Comment