Thursday, March 26, 2015

Color me Red...



This has been an odd kind of a week - work had been busy but the mind preoccupied. The husband was travelling so even with the preoccupation it was busy at home with an active 8 year old. I have been seeing flashes of red yesterday in the bird flying away quite suddenly, the beautiful red camellias and roses in the garden and the beautiful red beets and raspberries that I got in the farmer's market - they inspired poetry and some wonderful meals. I am sharing here with you the recipe for my super yummy and good for you Beets and Quinoa Khichdi.


Color me Red Beets & Quinoa Mush

You Need :

1/2 Cup Quinoa
1/2 Cup Mung Dal ( or whatever Dal grabs your fancy)
2 cups grated beets
2 Cups Organic Vegetable Broth
2 Tomatoes
Finely Chopped - Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilly to Taste

Wash and soak the Quinoa and the Mung Dal.

In a pressure cooker first add a spoon of ghee...add a pinch of Asafoetida (Hing). Let 1/4th tsp of Jeera sizzle and splutter. Then add a half a tsp of turmeric and then add your finely chopped ginger/garlic/green chilies  and fry for about a minute!  Now add in the chopped tomatoes and let it cook for 2 minutes. Then add in the grated Beets and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Now add in the washed Quinoa and Mung Dal. Add in the Vegetable Broth and turn on the pressure cooker. Let it go for 4 whistles (3 if you like it more Al dente).

When the mixture is cool, add more salt if required (I usually don't add more salt - the salt from the Vegetable Broth is enough), Fresh Lemon Juice (1/2-1 Lemon) and Chopped Cilantro (I didn't have the Cilantro today). Enjoy with a side of yogurt and pickle.

I also made a wonderful raspberry jam with the raspberries from the  farmer's market.

           

So life color me red, yellow, blue, pink or orange but most importantly Color me life and light , I have breathed a thousand breaths and still, I long to see tomorrow's sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment