Friday, April 17, 2015

Healthy Recipes : "Pain Be Gone" Chocolate Cake

Cooking and Exercise are my panacea to all kinds of stress and unhappiness -- I found out that one of my first cousins is no more this week and it filled me with an intense sadness - he and I had been very close when we were in school -- he understood my penchant for books and melancholy better than most and we spoke about his dreams and aspirations to become a doctor who changed the world. We drifted apart growing up and I haven't seen him in over two decades - yet the pain felt when I heard that he had a heart attack was intense....he was only 42. I sat in the parking lot of the gym for 20 minutes contemplating going in and dancing away the pain...the body wasn't up to it. So I went back home and I grabbed my blender and whipped up a chocolate cake to ward away the cobwebs of melancholy and pain. 



                                                                                                                     
Serves: 12 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 5 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Wheat Bran
  • 1 Banana
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds)
  • 3 tbspoon Chia Seeds
  • 2 Egg Whites
  • 1/2 Cup Kefir 
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 Cup of Sugar (I used Stevia)
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
  • Pinch of Salt to Taste
PREPARATION
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  I stick all the ingredients in my Food Processor and blend to cake consistency. Pour into a round well greased cake pan. Bake 30-35 minutes till  toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Nutritional Insights : Calories per Serving - 120, Carbs - 10 g, Fat - 5 g, Protein - 8 g, Fiber - 6 g 

The secret to my moist cake is the Kefir which is a close cousin to our Lassi/Buttermilk but embodied with healthy good for you probiotics. This cake is high in fiber, has healthy omega fats (from the Chia Seeds and Walnuts) and zero butter/vegetable oil. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank's for sharing! Gonna cook it today =)
    I think it's dangerous NOT to eat paleo food nowadays!
    My husband is a fitness trainer and dietologist and he always recommeds to his clients to use recipes from this book http://style4u.me/recipebook/ (copy and paste in to the adress line), no matter they want to gain or to lose weight. Paleo dieting leads to normal weight of the body, if you are using good recipes.
    You can read his articles and healthy recipes on this website http://style4u.me/recipes/ , hope this helps.
    I personally lost with paleo dieting 34 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! Will definitely take a look at his recipes

      Delete