Saturday, May 9, 2015

Tentative Parenting : Changing Courses


K2 is very set in his way and is very unhappy if he has to change course midway even if he knows his previous plan is either (a) not yielding the results he was expecting (b) failing miserably. He gets this stubborn look on his face and keeps going at it (wonder who he gets it from ;-))

Over the years I have learnt to change course with the resources I have on hand, whether it's at work, in life and with my cooking. What I am trying to teach him is the following:

# It ain't easy - I am not saying it's easy and maybe you start of making the changes with baby steps and that's ok
# It's never too late to change course
# Look at your resource and time constraints and make a realistic change decision
# Always have a good idea of where you are trying to get (final product or destination)
# Enjoy the journey

Today for example I was planning  for a dinner party and had every intention of making chicken meatballs from scratch, with quinoa pasta and a homemade pasta sauce (with cauliflower, carrots and tomatoes). A brief phone conversation with N changed the course for me and I made instead smooth, creamy, spicy and satisfying Haleem. I know a lot of folks think Haleem is a labor of love - well not in my kitchen.Here's the dibs and I promise you it's a no-fail recipe



Serves: 8 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 1/2 Finger chopped Ginger
  • 1 packet Shaan's Haleem Masala
  • 750 gms (1.5 lbs) of Organic Ground Chicken 
  • Soaked Pulses and Grains - I used 1/4 cup of Toor Dal, Urad Dal, Chana Dal, Barley and Wheat Bran (soaked 2 hrs+)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 Lemon

PREPARATION

 Heat oil in large pressure cooker over medium heat. Add  ginger and the ground chicken and the Haleem Masala sauté for 5 minutes. Now add the soaked pulses & grains and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add Chicken Broth or Water, I added water (about 8 cups) and pressure cook for 10+ whistles on medium
Add chopped Cilantro and  then use an immersion blender to blend to a paste. I added the lemon juice last and checked the seasoning.
 A delicious and spicy Haleem is ready (without any unhealthy implications -- I used lean meat and used no ghee, just organic safflower oil)
Nutritional Insights : Calories per Serving - 220, Carbs - 17 g, Fat - 10 g, Protein - 17 g, Sodium - 400 mg, Fiber - 8 g

No comments:

Post a Comment