Tuesday, April 17, 2018

It's raining Cauliflowers...

"When life gives you rainy days,
Wear Cute Boots and jump in the puddles"
If the shoes are UGGs,
Take them off, make yourself a cup of chai and enjoy from inside.

In my defense, I was rather poorly dressed, no jacket and wearing my  pair of non-water resistant UGGs, so I quickly beat a hasty retreat to the house and watched the downpour from the kitchen...this was Monday. Sunday however was a nice and warm day and I played Pokemon Go with my son and his friends (and their moms). In between the community day quest for pokemons (Mareeps if you are interested!) I walked up to the Sunday Farmer's market for 20 minutes (no bags, just my huge laptop bag which I had no idea why I was carrying...resisted Beckmann's pastries and went straight to the person who hooks me up with the best Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli - he had amazing Cauliflower and I picked out my veggies and got ready to pay him - he threw in two more cauliflowers to my pile of vegetables

So if you saw this weird woman carrying about 12 lbs of fruits and vegetables in a handbag trying unsuccessfully to play Pokemon Go while walking back to the park...yup that was me...

Once I got home, we  caught up playing with our new puppy (this included feeding, taking care of her "business and of course lots of cuddles) and watching TV and it was time for dinner!

And out came the Instant Pot to my rescue  and I made a Cauliflower Soup...honestly I was like this mad scientist throwing together ingredients and what came out was sheer magic !!!

Cauliflower Soup



What's in it?
  1. 2 heads of Cauliflower
  2. Better than Bouillon Chicken Stock (they have a veggie version too) - use about 2 large tablespoon
  3. Minced Garlic,  1  Medium Chopped Onion (Red)
  4. Water - 2 Quarts 
  5. Bragg's Liquid Amino
  6. Salt and Pepper to Taste, Avocado Oil, 1 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
  7. Labneh (Middle Eastern Probiotic Cheese) - I used the Greek Gods Brand...if you can't find Labneh, feel free to use low-fat plain Kefir ($2.99 at Trader Joe's)
  8. 1 handful mint (plus some for garnish)

How I made it?
  • Instant Pot on Saute - Add oil/ghee, when hot saute garlic and onions till onions are lightly brown, add turmeric powder and Cauliflower and Saute for 1 minute
  • Add the water, Liquid Amino and chicken bouillon (I buy mine from Costco!)
  • Put it in Rice Mode
  • When it's done, take your immersion blender (add Labneh, salt and pepper and Mint leaves) and give it a whir till it's smooth and creamy
  • Give it a taste for salt and pepper
  • Sit Back -  ENJOY!
  • We ate this with toasted Asiago Sour Dough (Beckmann's)
Servings
This is about 8 servings. 
Nutrition per servings - < 100 calories, 12 gms of Carb, 2 gms of Fat, 8 gms of protein, 7 gms of Fiber and 6 gms of Sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment