Saturday, June 15, 2019

The AHA Moment!

“I believe that the ability to laugh at oneself is fundamental to the resiliency of the human spirit.” 

I will let you on to a secret about me...I suck at parallel parking...so here's how it all played out - I was driving out to a Yelp Elite event in Palo Alto...on a busy road...magically I got a parking right by the restaurant on the street...I tried very hard to parallel park straight but was unsuccessful...so kinda sorta gave up and left my car with it's behind slightly sticking out...there were these bunch of teenagers sitting and drinking boba tea who had this amused look on their faces, I looked at them and then looked at my car and I could have walked away feeling shitty and judged but then I looked at one of them - winked and smiled and said - I sucked at it right! They started laughing with me vs. laughing at me...I left that encounter with a note to myself -What other people think about you has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them. If I base my self-worth on what everyone else thinks of me, I hand over all my emotions to other people and become dependent on a source outside of myself for validation. Then I wind up chasing after something that I have no control over, and should that something suddenly place its focus somewhere else, or change its mind and decide I am no longer very interesting, I end up with a full-blown identity crisis...SO.NOT.HAPPENING. A true AHA! moment - I am badass and I don't need anyone else to tell me I am badass...

While I was having my AHA! moment I was also cooking up a storm - I made my Detox Cabbage Soup and made a south-indian version of my khichdi. It was super yummy and I had it with a karela pickle from the Indian Store ( Grand Sweets and Snacks - Pavakkai Thokku). 


South Indian Khichdi - Ven Pongal



What you need
  1. 1 Cup Quinoa (washed in cold water and soaked with dhuli/skinless moong dal 1/2 hr in hot water I boiled in my electric kettle)
  2. 1 cup  Dhuli/yellow Moong Dal 
  3. 3 cups water ( I like my Khichdi to have a nice mushy consistency...add lesser water if you want it dry)
  4. 2 tsp Ghee
  5.   Mustard Seeds, cumin seeds, Hing (asafoetida) - I used more than a pinch, Whole Black Pepper (most of it roughly crushed, keep some  whole for the garnish), curry leaves, a slight pinch of turmeric (optional)
  6.  salt to taste
To Cook 
  1. Turn on your Instant Pot to Saute. Add your ghee....add hing, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When they splutter, add turmeric and crushed black pepper and curry leaves.
  2. Add the moong dal and the quinoa  to the instant pot and give it a stir 
  3. Add  Water 
  4. Put the IP on Rice Mode
  5. When done open, Natural Release - add salt to taste
Enjoy with a pickle, sambar or chutney and remember your awesomeness and don't let it rest on someone else's opinion of you!

4 comments:

  1. Nice recipe!
    I really enjoyed reading the beginning of the post also. Too much coincide with what happened with me recently. From sucking at parallel parking to finding a spot magically in front of the venue :) I live in Bay area as well ;)
    But I didn't want to take a risk in downtown Los Gatos, so I asked one of the dad at the birthday party to help me park :D
    I used to volunteer with him for an activity at school this year, so I was thinking that he found out my secret. But then I just thought 'so what?' and stopped worrying about it :)

    Will try this recipe soon. Might add some veggies to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rupali - I am so glad you shared your story with with - so nice to meet you virtually :)

      Delete
  2. Meenakshi - high time you switch to Model X Tesla to get over your parking woes
    :D
    Even though as you said what others think doesn't matter, what Californian cops think matters much to your wallet, I am just off paying $339 fine last month ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got a parking ticket fine ever in my life (yet) :-)

      Delete