Monday, January 11, 2010

The Wandering Onesie...


As I had a tug of war with my 3 year old, trying to convince him that Onesies were for night time and he needed to wear his thermal Tee to his pre-school...No Onesies (or I got the evil eye from the teacher)...admidst sorrowful wails and loud proclaimations of - Don't love Mommy!...I took a tortured minute to curse the invention of the Onesie...
I can mentally see some of you scratching your head and wondering Onesie...what the heck is she talking about? Onesies® is actually a brand name of the one-piece, t-shirt-like baby garment that has snaps across the diaper and keeps it in place and gives the mom easy access to the diaper at diaper change time...a huge boon when your child is 6 months old and you change the diaper...umm...let's see about a dozen times every day...a huge BANE when you are potty training your lil' guy...Deception is key here. The routine we go through at 8.00 AM in the morning, is --
(A) Let him know he will be wearing a Tee not a Onesie
(B) Watch him pout, tears fill his eyes, wails etc. etc.
(C) Tell him I will take your Onesie to school and let your teacher make you wear it
(D) Actually carry above mentioned Onesie to school
(E) When he sees his teacher he actually forgets mommy holding the onesie and runs to teacher
(F) Mommy beats a hasty retreat with onesie....

Score :1 to Mommy (yeah right!)

I unwound this weekend by re-reading a book on "Situational Leadership" by Ken Blanchard called "Leadership and the One Minute Manager". What I liked about the book was how simple some of the concepts were...
(A) Clear Goal Setting
(B) Goals aligned to Competence and Commitment
(C) One shoe doesn't fit all --- Situational Leadership
(D) Feedback and Follow up Loop
I absolutely love how applicable to real life Ken's approach is...I have benefitted a lot from his books and keep going back and re-reading a number of his concepts and with each new job/role/year, I get a new perspective.
Did I mention that I also unwound this weekend with hot cups of Indian Chai, Vegetable Fritters, Amazing Indian food cooked by my mother...Love it. How was your weekend? Ready for the long week?

No comments:

Post a Comment