Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pain in the neck...and a bowl of soup




Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
                                                                                                                        ----Winston Churchill
I have some grand illusions that there are people actually reading this blog and when there is no post for ten days someone actually misses it...reality check M..the only person reading your blog is probably you, your dad, K1 (after you remind him) and you (wait...you already said that). Winter and the rainy season is not a good time for me -- the sun makes me smile while the rain makes me grumpy...and the last 3 weeks have been very generous with the water works. To make it worse my viral fever gave me neck spasms (think doctors, muscle relaxants, pain killers...and something called a Chiropractor...tried even that twice)...the pain in my neck continues (now you know why I was staring at you from an ackward angle...it wasn't you it was me). The sun has been out the past two days and I have been pretty laidback about getting dinner on the table, focusing on walks with the 2K's. So our dinner menu read something like :
  1. Monday : Annie Chun Udon Noodles with tonnes of vegetables
  2. Tuesday : Veggie Pizza from Costco (my first pizza from Costco and pretty damn good)
  3. Wednesday : Take Out from Tava Palo Alto (Thanks A !!!)
  4. Thursday : South Indian - Sambhar, Rice, Cabbage Poriyal, Bhindi Fry (all made by your's truely)
  5. Friday : leftovers I guess
Last weekend, I was feeling down and out and what perked me up was a super simple "Chinese Soup"...this is my version of it and it is awesome and awesomely simple to make (don't judge me for the shortcuts...) but I know you will thank me when you have a hot bowl of soup in front of you in less than 10 minutes.



You will need:
  • Half a red onion or handful of scallions ( I used what I had on hand which was red onions)
  • Chopped Fresh Garlic (about half a head)
  • Annie Chun's Chicken Pot Stickers 
  • Imagine Chicken Broth (low sodium, organic)
  • Shitake Mushrooms (about 4 oz)
  • Bok Choy (about 4-5 big ones or half a dozen little ones)
  • Shredded Carrots ( Trader Joes)
  • Rice Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Chilli Sauce (if you want it)
Saute the onion and garlic in a neutral oil.Add the mushrooms, bok choy, shredded carrots and fry for maybe 2 minutes. Now add in the broth  and the dumplings. Simmer for 5 minutes, add soy sauce and rice wine vinegar to taste...go easy on the chilli sauce if you are recovering from a viral flu :-)...Take a huge bowl, spoon and start slurping...

This recipe goes out to The Spanish Wok for the The Soup Kitchen Event : Chinese Soup


What are your plans for Earth Day?




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your entry to the Soup Kitchen event, much appreciated.

    The roundup will be published very soon.

    ReplyDelete