Saturday, September 8, 2012

An Indian Innovation...

I was sitting on my laptop working. K1 had dropped K2 in school and was getting ready to leave for work, as he was quickly microwaving  his Quakers Apple Cinnamon Oats, he was muttering to himself...

Me : What happened, some weird work email?
K1 : Damn thing is always sweet
Me  (voice going shrill) : Did you just insult me?
K1 : Nahi yaar, the damn oat is always sweet - why don't they have savory Oats or a savory Protein Bar...I am sick of this craze with all things sweet

So I was talking to my Dad that same night...I asked him as usual - what did you have for breakfast Bapa? He said - I had Quakers Masala Oats with peas...I searched high and low for Masala Oats in my Indian Store, in health food stores, even amazon...no luck. When I heard A (let's call him A1) was coming to the US mid month last month, I told my Ma to get me 10 packets of this Masala Oat for K1. My sis-in-law (let's call her A2) got me not 10 but 50 packets of Lemony and Masala Oats. 2 weeks passed by and I hadn't really made the Oats...Bapa asked me multiple times whether I had tried it...(I hadn't for various reasons).
Today when the boys came back from soccer and K1 said - I am hungry is there anything to eat...I whipped up these veggie oats in literally 10 minutes for them.

Vegetable Oats

  • 3 Packets Quaker Masala Oats
  • Chopped Onion, 5-6 Curry Leaves
  • Frozen Peas, Shredded Carrots (Trader Joes)
  • Organic Spinach (Organic Girl)



  1. In 1/2 tsp Olive Oil give  a tadka of mustard and urad dal...add the curry leaves and Onions
  2. Saute till onions are light  brown...add the veggies
  3. Saute for 5 minutes
  4. Now add the 3 packets of Oats
  5. Fry for a minute and then add about 450 ml water
  6. Cook for 3 minutes
  7. Add Tomato Ketchup ( you can add tomatoes in step 2 after the onions are brown if you so prefer)
  8. Serve hot with Dahi (yogurt)
Feeds 2 very hungry people. The serving you see is how much K2 ate...so I am a happy camper.This recipe goes to the event : Healthy Snacks being hosted by  Cuisine Delights



How has your weekend been thus far? Work has been intense - however I have been unwinding with a couple intense cardio kickboxing and zumba classes...I have also been dragging a very reluctant Jinx for a round around the lake...here is a pretty sight that greeted us this Thursday...

I stood by the lake watching this lone pelican dive for fish while Jinx was catching a breath...

3 comments:

  1. thats very healthy. i did getsome packs of safolla masala oats during my last visit back home in kerala. thanks for sharing. happy to follow your blog. do visit my space too when you get the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sona. I came by to your lovely blog today...look forward to cooking some of your recipes :)

    ReplyDelete