Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Reluctant Yogi: Sprouting & Green Goddess Adai


Got to shift gears, changing lanes, 
must put aside all the fear of the unknown.
Read the  postings by the road,
Not shaken by the red lights of cop cars,
Or the yellow lines leading to infinity.
The road stretches ahead,
Beyond the corner . . . is a realm of possibility


For years I have had a sprout maker hidden away in my cupboards never used - a present from my Ma on a visit to India 10 years back. It looked like this


In the past - I resisted making my own sprouts and bought the sprouts from the store - they looked droopy and sad. For the  new year I made a resolution to at least try and make my own sprouts and  I have made sprouts successfully 3 times in less than a week and a half. I have made a sprouts chaat, a sprout salad with Arugula & Quinoa & Walnuts and the dish that I am especially proud of is this green goddess adai that these sprouts inspired me to make.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup sprouted moong beans
  • 1/4 cup Rolled Oats
  • 2 tablespoons Ragi Powder (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons Flax Seed Powder (optional)
  • 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
  • 1 knob ginger
  • 2-3 green serrano chillies
  • 1 onion, chopped finely (optional)
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • few sprigs of curry leaves
  • few sprigs of cilantro (optional)
  • Arugula (1/4 Salad Bag - Optional)
  • salt to taste
Method
  • Give it a whir in your food processor ( mine was a Blendtec) 
  • Make it as you would an Adai or a dosa ( steps here )
  • I made an awesome peanut chutney to go with the Adai. Recipe here ( I made this recipe minus the onions and with double the quantity garlic - 6 cloves)
  • Turn off the TV, sit down with the family to a nice conversation and a cup of herbal chai and enjoy your meal.
Something that has slowly made it's way into my understanding is the following Eating is perhaps the single most important act for one’s body along with practices like meditation, pranayama and yoga - because nourishment of the body forms a foundation for nourishment of the mind and emotions.”

No comments:

Post a Comment