Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Simple Living : A Chai Break...

"Life is like a cup of tea, its all in how you make it"

I am reading a book that attached itself to me in the musty smelling library (love that smell of books!)  - it was called the Handbook to Happiness. One of the things mentioned in it is Happiness comes to people in different ways - for some it is a habit, something that comes to them instinctively. While for others it's something learnt not instinctive and for others it's that elusive unicorn - so close, yet so far away. One thing that the book talked about was reflection and relaxation as a path to happiness-  A Chai Break is my time for that reflection and relaxation.


I usually drink a blend of teas from Teavana - Maharaja Chai Oolong and   Samurai Chai Mate and I add unprocessed sugar rocks to the blend - so that the brew is slightly sweet. Takes me back to India with the cinnamon, pepper, cardamom, ginger and cloves notes...a chai that warms me with it's spices. 

I try and have a healthy snack with my chai - today it was roasted Makhana tossed in Chaat Masala. Roasted/Popped Makhana is something I discovered in India about 4 years and I was
hooked - it's lotus seeds and the taste is almost like popcorn (for me it's way way better!). Lotus seeds or Makhana are a great source of protein and fiber - they are low in sodium and are a recommended snack for folks suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity. They have a natural flavanoid called kaempferol which prevents inflammation and aging. They are also high on phyto-nutrients that help fight diseases. In Ayurveda it is believed that Makhana has astringent properties with specific benefits for the kidney. I didn't know about any of these health benefits when I first started eating the popped Makhana seeds...I just thought they were super delish.

So do you take a Chai Break? 

No comments:

Post a Comment