Wednesday, September 6, 2017

DREAMers United...

                                                 "I had a dream
                      I had a dream that we were ... a generation to behold 

                Writing fires with our words ... Instead of useless smoke that blurs"

I watched a really powerful movie over the weekend - "Hidden Figures", the messages in the movie struck a chord in me - a society that aims to deny opportunity to any of its members shoots itself in the foot. The task is to exhume and examine the struggles of our past, to move beyond hidden hate, find talent wherever it may exist and, together, reach for the stars.

Brings me to current day and the very real problem of the revocation of the DACA by our erstwhile President. Being a first generation immigrant, I understand the hardships firsthand of making a spot for yourself in a new country, slowly settling in and "sort of" fitting in and getting comfortable. My son being born in this country was not his choice but a part of the adult's decision making process....so as I was trying to explain the implications of the revocation of DACA to K2, he exclaimed - but it's not their fault, this is so unfair. If a 10 yr old is able to understand the implications of this action, why is a grown up 71 yr old  who is responsible for the well-being of this entire country not able to make the right choice ...boils down to one thing...he doesn't believe in equal rights for all...almost feels like we are going back a century into the times when it was ok to have segregation between races...

As I ponder these potentially flammable topics on a very hot day ( the Bay Area has been touching 110 degrees in temperature this week...), we cool down with some scrumptious Dahi Vada.

We made yogurt for the first time in the IP :

  1. Phase 1 - Heat the Milk, 2% Organic Milk 1/2 Gallon (make sure vent is in sealing)
  2. Phase 2 - Cool the milk ( ~ 35-40 minutes)
  3. Phase 3 - Add the Starter - I added the Nanak Yogurt, tastes the closest to Indian Dahi
  4. Phase 4 - Set the Dahi - Press the Yogurt button and let the IP  do it's magic
We made a super simple Dahi Vada with "Deep's Vada"...we don't fry in my house...so this is the work-around ;-)



As I enjoyed the Dahi Vadas on a hot day, the words of Martin Luther King rang loud and clear in my mind - Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. So I am asking myself the question - what am I going to do about it?

2 comments:

  1. Really very happy to say, your post is very interesting to read. I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job. Keep it up, visit Florence this professional photographer profile will lead you to the free Gift Card Generator 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading the article above, really explains everything in detail,the article is very interesting and effective. Thank you and good luck for the upcoming articles
    Things NieR: Automata Doesn't Tell You

    ReplyDelete