Monday, May 27, 2019

The Scent of Green Papaya

Catharsis is a Greek word meaning "purification", "purging", "cleansing" or "detoxification"...
I absolutely adore the "Whole Body Cleanse" System and indulge in a semi-annual detox with khichdi, lemon juice and honey and the whole body cleanse for a week...I feel refreshed, renewed and pun unintended "whole" again.

The organized me loves even better when I "spring clean"...throwing away things I didn't need that were not usable, donating or selling other stuff and generally cleaning house...I love the feeling of emptiness, organization and space that activity gives me - the busyness of things this year hasn't afforded me the luxury of this activity this year (yet).




The one thing I haven't been able to do is mentally cleanse my mind of attachments. ...it is very difficult to mentally detach oneself from one's ego, thoughts, aspirations, dreams and memories. I take a "baby step" towards cleaning shop - starting with the mind and body...it won't be easy or comfortable but I am definitely welcoming this new challenge.

For the body : I have really focused on zero alcohol and no added sugar the past two weeks...my weighing machine has been giving me positive reinforcement the past two weeks too...this to me is also spring cleaning


Detox Khichdi

What you need
  1. 1 Cup Quinoa (washed in cold water and soaked with moong dal 1/2 hr in hot water I boiled in my electric kettle)
  2. 1 cup  Moong Dal 
  3. 1 cup Peeled & Cubed Green Papaya 
  4. 3 cups water ( I like my Khichdi to have a nice mushy consistency...add lesser water if you want it dry)
  5. 2 tsp Ghee
  6. 1 small knob of ginger, 1 medium chopped tomatoes
  7. Liquid Aminos (for seasoning), Avocado Oil (or any other oil), cumin seeds, Hing (asafoetida), turmeric powder, black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder
  8. 1 whole lemon and salt to taste
To Cook 
  1. Turn on your Instant Pot to Saute. Add your ghee....add hing, cumin seeds and the roughly chopped ginger and chopped tomatoes. Add turmeric and black pepper powder.
  2. Add the moong dal and the quinoa (and the cut green papaya) to the instant pot and give it a stir 
  3. Add Vegetable Broth/ Water (I added water)
  4. Put the IP on Rice Mode
  5. When done open, Natural Release - taste for salt. 
  6. Now add fresh lime juice and cut cilantro. 
Some of you might ask why green papaya - my mother cooked extensively with it. Here are some known health benefits of Green Papaya

Now with a clear head and an open heart - enjoy your meal...this truly is catharsis!

No comments:

Post a Comment