Sunday, January 13, 2013

Eat Dessert First...

Life is uncertain.  Eat dessert first.  ~Ernestine Ulmer

It is an odd sort of a day...cold and dreary and all I want to do is snuggle under the comforter and worry...worry about things I can't control and that is pretty much all I did...wallowed in self pity for sometime...then I dusted that feeling off (how long can a person feel blue) and went marching off to the Farmer's Market with K2. He didn't want to come but I don't think I gave him much of a choice...he perked up at the "Bolani's Stand" and his ears went red when the lady gave him an extra sample and called him adorable...any surprises, I bought the Jalapeno Pepper Jelly (even though the one at home was only 1/4th finished)...we then went and said hello to the guy who sells organic eggs ( he even knows K2's name) and to whom I am forever grateful for helping me get K2 hooked to eggs ( he sold him quail eggs, duck eggs, goose eggs...we drew a line at Baluts). We walked by the Sukhi's guy with his parathas and samosas and went by to Beckmann's Bakery...we picked up a bear claw for K2 (it's his favorite thing about the Farmer's Market when raspberries aren't around)...and also a pie. Of-course, we got our fruits and veggies ( apples, kiwis, sweet potatoes, beets, cabbage and broccoli)...
We also picked up a movie for K2 : Ice Age - Continental Drift. That was my movie watch for the day and it was awesome.If we were in India, we would be celebrating Makarsankranti  (Pongal) with family...there would be desserts, there would be noise, family and conversations...

We ate our Cherry Pie from Beckmann's and missed the desserts from back home - be it modak or monda pitha, sooji halwa/sheera, jilapi or jilbi....its all good and missed, also missed is our family back home. K2 polished 2 big slices of pie...so I think he is living life with full deference to the saying above...

Did you get a chance to eat dessert first?

No comments:

Post a Comment