Thursday, January 10, 2013

Fifty Shades Stupid...

Should I feel better that -

On 1 August 2012, Amazon UK announced that it had sold more copies of Fifty Shades of Grey than it had the entire Harry Potter series combined, making E. L. James its best-selling author, replacing J. K. RowlingIt was number one on USA Today's best-selling books list for twenty weeks in a row, breaking a previous record of 16 weeks set by In the Kitchen with Rosie: Oprah's Favorite Recipes by Rosie Daley and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Both series my absolute favorites )


Or should I feel a part of a stereotype :-(


The book's perceived demographic of its fan base as being composed largely of married women over thirty...(but not a fan!)




I read my friend M's rant on Fifty Shades of Grey on Facebook and my curiosity was piqued, I  put the kindle edition on hold for the entire trilogy at my public library, a month later I got an email saying the book was available...I got busy and the book remained unread...soon I had an email saying the book expires in 2 days...so on Sunday night I speed read the  trilogy in 2 hours...got up on Monday morning feeling Fifty Shades Stupid... and had a roaring headache to the boot. I did get my questions answered - they get married in the end...kinda predictable right...but I like open-shut endings  (belch!)...2 hours I could have spent reading to my son, going to my yoga class or just sleeping...now lost forever.

My warning to you...read the book if you :
  1. have nothing better to do
  2. like books with maddeningly rich sheikhs princes business men with dark pasts who are wooing these fragile, gorgeous sprites who complete them
  3. want to get totally (and I mean totally!) weird-ed out
I am shocked that this is recommended reading for 17 year olds....OMG! Our mandatory reading in college was The Razor's Edge and I still remember the disapproving looks we got from some of the parents.

How is your week shaping out? The hard part for me is keeping a track of all the moving set of deliverables and stakeholders ...focus on maintaining the old stuff or getting the specs out for the new stuff...K2 and K1 have been amazingly patient,  helpful and sweet with me this week. Final Confession - I reluctantly outsourced part of my son's lunches to the "Hot Lunch Program"...I think the lunch lady is still reeling from all the questions - brown rice, multi-grain pasta, organic milk...blah! blah!  (as my son likes to call it).

I leave you with the one quote from the Fifty Shades Stupid that stuck with me - 
“Sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with me. Perhaps I've spent too long in the company of my literary romantic heroes, and consequently my ideals and expectations are far too high.” 

1 comment:

  1. Fifty Shades and Hot Lunch Program...that's a book waiting to happen. From your barrage of questions to the lunch lady, I guess, you have spent too long in the company of your culinary exploits, and consequently your ideals and expectations are far too high.

    ReplyDelete