Friday, January 26, 2018

He Says...She Says

He says Sports...She says Murder Mysteries,
He says fancy dinner...She says take-out with a movie at home,
He says Italian....She says Indian,
He says Chill...She says Clean,
He says Go with the Flow, She says To-Do Lists,
He says Coffee, She says Tea,

She makes him his morning oatmeal,
He takes her for long walks.
She taught him to eat veggies,
And he taught her to love the gym...

Polar opposites and yet things just seem to fit,
17 years....more to look forward to.


It's our 17th anniversary and I am not cooking today but made a quick batch of my bhuna masala to freeze for use later (gotta take care of the mundane things). I use this magic sauce in all my curries - chicken curry, kheema masala, rajma, chana, Aloo Matar Rasa, Gobi Aloo Rasa....and more. It cuts my cooking time on weekdays by almost half.

The Magic Mother of All Sauces (for Indian Curries)



What you need?

  • 2 Lbs of Tomatoes ( I use the vine-ripened tomatoes from the Farmer's Market) - peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 Lb Red Onions - peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp Turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
  • 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
  • 1 Entire Garlic - peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 knob of Ginger (grated)
  • 1 tablespoon Avocado Oil ( you can use whatever vegetable oil you use, more if you need it)
How you make it?
  1. Turn the Instant Pot to Saute
  2. Add the oil, when the oil is hot add in the cumin seeds, turmeric and chili powder
  3. Now add the garlic, ginger and onions
  4. Saute till brown...add the tomatoes, add a little water if needed ( I didn't because the tomatoes had enough water)
  5. Now turn on the pressure on manual for 3 minutes, no release
  6. Grind the mixture in your blendtec/magic bullet
  7. Once it freezes, you can cool and use as required.
I will leave you with this thought "Marriage is not a noun; it's a verb. It isn't something you get. It's something you do. It's the way you love  and live with your partner every day. 



2 comments:

  1. I am new to Instant Pot and have minimal Indian cooking experience (i.e. still at a point where I have to look at recipes rather than have intuition). Could you please offer some insight regarding how you think about later using it? Are there different "branches"? i.e. add garam masala and you can then make X, Y, Z curry. Or use a relatively small amount to make, say, A, B, C veggie? Thank you for any insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom - thanks for reading. I usually follow the routine listed in this blog post for Channa Masala - http://randomponderingsofamom.blogspot.com/2017/08/bridging-gender-gap.html
    I have 4-5 ready made Indian Masalas (from my local indian store) - Channa Masala, Rajma Masala (Kidney Beans) , Garam Masala, Meat Masala). With meat curries, I will brown the meat in the instant pot, add the bhuna masala, add water and then the dry masala and pressure cook. Usually I use the Bhuna Masala to make saucy gravies so on an average will use a 16 oz bottle of masala to make 2-3 curries. Let me know if it's still confusing and I will try and dig up a good reference link for you :)

    ReplyDelete