Friday, January 5, 2018

New Year New Recipe : Healthy Lamb Stew

"And then there are some days when a salad would just not cut it and what I want in my belly is a hot, flavorful meaty stew..."

There is an incredible chill in the air...it's drizzling away steadily and there is a foggy ghostly ambience in the air that is faintly depressing.

As I was watching yet another episode of "Criminal Minds" in my dark room, I knew I just had to put something quick and hearty on the table. We don't eat lamb too often but there was a really good sale on at our local grocery store for organic boneless lamb stew meat, so here I was with a pound and a half of lamb. The house smells incredible and I am off my "rainy day funk" and there are a few meals to tide us over.

Healthy Lamb Stew

Prep time: 15
Cook time: 2
Total time: < than 45 minutes
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients
  • 11/2 pounds boneless lamb meat, cubed 
  • Lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 medium red onion, diced
  • 2 Large Organic Carrots, diced
  • 2 whole organic celery stalks, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced, 1 knob Ginger grated
  • 2 Tomatoes (medium) diced
  • 4 medium sized potatoes
  • Bay Leaf ( I have ground bay leaf powder that I use)
  • Fresh parsley, chopped for topping, lemon juice
How I made it?
  1. Place the lamb in a glass bowl and marinate with lemon juice, minced garlic and garlic, Black Pepper
  2. Bring lamb out of fridge at least 15 minutes before you plan on cooking. (marinate overnight for the best flavor)
  3. Turn Instant Pot on Saute Mode. Add pieces of lamb and brown on all sides ( the lamb rendered some fat which is why I didn't add any oil for cooking)
  4. When all of the meat is browned, add the onion, carrots, celery and potatoes. Cook for about five minutes, stirring often, until vegetables start to soften.
  5. Add the tomatoes, ground bay leaf powder (optional), nutmeg and and cinnamon
  6. Cook for 3 more minutes, add 2 cups of water/broth
  7. Now turn the Instant Pot to manual 20 Minutes (high pressure), No Release
  8. Once it's all done - Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley (which I didn't have BUT it still tasted AWESOME) and lemon juice.
Enjoy with crusty bread or even tastes great with a scoop of quinoa or brown rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment