Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Throwing away my Fat Pants...

How many times do you weigh yourself in a day...go on be honest...ok I will go first (2 times a day)...I have always struggled with weight...being the pudgy kid in school with the thick glasses who loved her carbs (think rice)...I always dressed up 2 sizes larger to hide perceived and real imperfections.In January, 2012 I did both a mental and a wardrobe re-haul ..I dress to size...if there is a weakness I want to highlight it, so that I get a chance to acknowledge  and rectify it. Similarly if I sense a level of discomfort with a certain activity, I take a closer look at the reason for the discomfort and try to address it vs. try and hide it.

Here are some of the things I have done that have helped me :

(A) Take on an activity which is a stretch : Something I am not sure I will be successful at but I know I will learn from ( it is easy to take on tasks where I would succeed 100% declare victory and feel smug)...as my Yoga teacher Keith says - it is about stretching that part of your body that doesn't want to be stretched...when you see some progress, you know you have really progressed
(B) Exercise : I think the one thing that has kept me going has been hitting the gym regularly. In the process, I have found activities that are both uplifting (BollyX) and calming (yoga).
(C) Focus on the now and yourself without checking on your neighbor's progress : It is so easy to get caught up in the competition game of me vs. him/her. Just focus on what makes you truly happy ( in my case reading, Yoga, BollyX, solving complex problems for customers at work, spending time with my family...the list goes on and on, makes me happy)...and try to optimize on those moments of true happiness.


I now have my Instant Pot to help me create healthy meals in less than 20 minutes at least 4 times a week (I have a confession to make, I don't cook everyday! and we eat left-overs the next day :-) )

Last week I made a quick  delicious Vegetable Quinoa Biryani




What you need
  1. Aachi Biryani Masala - 2 tablespoons 
  2. 1 Cup Quinoa (washed in cold water and soaked 1/2 hr)
  3. Roughly Chopped Onion (1 Big one), Garlic & Ginger paste, Roughly chopped Tomato (1 large tomato)
  4. 1 Cup - Frozen Vegetables (365 Whole Foods Brand is what I used)
  5.  3/4th Cup Vegetable Broth (Saffron Road)
  6. 1/4th cup Light Coconut Milk ( 365 Whole Foods Brand is what I used)
  7. Liquid Aminos (for seasoning), Avocado Oil (or any other oil), cumin seeds, Hing (asefoetida), turmeric powder, black pepper powder (turmeric+black pepper = wa wa whoom for health quotient)
To Cook 
  1. Turn on your Instant Pot to Saute. Add your oil....add hing, cumin seeds the onions and garlic/ginger paste. Add turmeric and black pepper powder. Cook till Onion is browned and then add the tomatoes and cook further till the masala is no longer raw (or do what I did - add 3 tablespoons of my frozen magic mother sauce and then add turmeric powder and black pepper powder, I also sprayed some rough chopped onions with coconut oil spray and stuck it in my microwave to garnish the biryani with :) )
  2. Add the veggies and the quinoa to the instant pot and give it a stir - give the ingredients a long minute to mix and work their magic
  3. Now add the Aachi Biryani Masala (or your home-made biryani masala)
  4. Add the Broth 
  5. Put the IP on Rice Mode
  6. When done open and add in the coconut milk+ Liquid Aminos to taste
  7. Now add fresh lime juice and garnish with the microwaved onions and cut cilantro  
  8. Dig into your biryani knowing that with this bowl of biryani you are adding 300 calories to your daily calories with 14 grams of Protein and 10 grams of Fiber (if you add in a side of yogurt or kefir like I did - for 60 more calories you just upped your proteins to over 20 grams and your fiber to 12 grams :-) )
Now what are you waiting for - are you going to let those "fat pants" stay in your closet or are you going to "throw away that life boat" and take a step towards more risks and heck yes! higher rewards!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment