Thursday, August 30, 2018

Detox Diet...


 

I have been eating healthy for a while now,  exercising and keeping to a good routine. Then G & P come back from Chennai and I have Aavin Palkova (my absolute favorite 😍) and A comes back from Jaipur and gets me Besan Laadoo while my MIL sends Peda for her grandson from Pune...so every evening when I come back exhausted from work or the gym...there is a beautiful siren's call from the fridge and I go and grab myself a "pick-me-up"😤😥

So last night I told myself enough was enough...I needed to go on a detox. Guidelines set for myself -
  1. Binge on Sleep - I went to sleep at 10.00 PM yesterday
  2. Drink a glass of water the moment I get up in the morning 
  3. Stretch (I had all intentions of going to a class but the busyness of life made me stretch out a mat in the bedroom and stretch out the sore muscles...after a 1.5 hrs u-jam class yesterday I think I could hear my bones creaking!)
  4. Reach for bloat-busting beverages (the two I swear by are Yogi Tea and Pukka Tea )
  5. Skip the sugar (so hard...)
  6. Make a big batch of my Ayurvedic Detox Soup  (Dal really but soup has a distinctive ring to it)

What you need (Servings - 4)
  1. 1/2 Cup Quinoa (washed in cold water and soaked with the moong dal 1/2 hr in hot water I boiled in my electric kettle)
  2. 1 cup  Moong Dal (the moong dal with no cover)
  3. Basic Mirepoix - blend of onion, celery, carrots (all from my local farmer's market)
  4. 3 Cups Bone  Broth ( I used the Pacific Chicken Bone Broth - I will write a separate blog post about bone broth but I read this book by Kellyanne Pettruci and I was blown away by the health benefits). Vegetarians stick to a vegetable broth that is low in sodium)
  5. 1 small knob of ginger (for digestion)
  6. Fresh Lemon Juice to taste
  7. Liquid Aminos (for seasoning), Avocado Oil (or any other oil),  turmeric powder, black pepper powder
  8. Parsley (Detoxing) for garnish - I actually end up adding a lot more (later) just to get the earthy parsley flavor - yum!
To Cook 
  1. Turn on your Instant Pot to Saute. Add your oil....add the roughly chopped ginger. Add the Mirepoix and sweat it. Add turmeric and black pepper powder.
  2. Add the moong dal and the quinoa to the instant pot and give it a stir 
  3. Add the Broth (if you eat meat, I highly recommend giving the Bone Broth a try!)
  4. Put the IP on Rice Mode
  5. When done open and add Liquid Aminos to taste (you can use salt instead of the liquid aminos)
  6. Now add fresh lemon juice and cut parsley. 

Now if I can  avoid desserts or sugar for just 1 week I will consider my Mission Accomplished. Are you ready for the long weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment