Thursday, March 12, 2020

COVID 19 : The New Normal!

President Donald Trump addressed the nation Wednesday from the Oval Office, calling COVID-19 a “foreign virus” ... it made my blood boil. I really worry about the situation. Here's why :

  1. Our county - San Mateo saw a rise from 2 to 20 cases of infections in less than 2 days (rapid spread of infection)
  2. Our grocery stores are bare of weird essentials : toilet paper, sanitizers, cleaning products and water (increased panic)
  3. Infrastructure on shutdown (schools will shut down for over 3 weeks)
  4. Major events shutdown : school events, work events, new school open houses etc.
I won't tell you this is sitting easy on my sense of calm but all we can do is prepare for this pandemic the best we can. Here's what we are doing :
  1. Washing up as much as we can
  2. Not going to too many public places
  3. Trying to eat healthy and building our immunity

Not my Amma's Khichdi


What you need
  1. 1/2 Cup Quinoa + 1/2 Cup Brown Rice (washed in cold water and soaked with moong dal 1/2 hr in hot water I boiled in my electric kettle)
  2. 4 cups  Sprouted Green Moong
  3. 3 cups water ( I like my Khichdi to have a nice mushy consistency...add lesser water if you want it more solid)
  4. 2 tsp Ghee
  5. 1 small knob of ginger, 1 medium chopped tomatoes
  6. Liquid Aminos (for seasoning), Avocado Oil (or any other oil), cumin seeds, Hing (asafoetida), turmeric powder, black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder
  7. 1 whole lemon and salt to taste
To Cook 
  1. Turn on your Instant Pot to Saute. Add your ghee....add hing, cumin seeds and the roughly chopped ginger and chopped tomatoes. Add turmeric and black pepper powder.
  2. Add the Rice+ Quinoa to the instant pot and give it a stir for a minute. 
  3. Add the Sprouted Moong
  4. Add Vegetable Broth/ Water (I added water)
  5. Add the Liquid Aminos/Salt and any other dry spices you add to your khichidi. I usually add roasted jeera powder which gives it a smokiness.
  6. Put the IP on 5 minutes, High Pressure
  7. When done open, Natural Release - taste for salt. 
  8. Now add fresh lime juice and cut cilantro. 
Now enjoy the meal with your family, go out for a walk...when will you get the time for such peace and quiet in quite a bit of isolation...

Let's face our fear head on -- we are all exposed and there is a lot we don't know about this virus...but what I do know is  - I believe in our community and I believe in the miracle that is our body and I know we will get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment