Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Daily Routine & The 6 C Immunity Building Khichidi!

"We are what we repeatedly do and Eat. Health and Habits are not an afterthought but a result of our actions"
I started off over a decade ago a tired, overweight woman in her mid-thirties who  did have one thing going for her - she was incredibly flexible...she did regular yoga but also was overweight and lacked stamina and was constantly tired and angry. Every time I  went in to do yoga with my favorite yoga teacher Keith...I would see this gaggle of chirpy women walk into a Zumba class afterwards and always wondered why not me...then 2 years into watching these women have fun, I decided to stay back for the Zumba Class and my life has changed since then...I went from a Size 14 to a Size 4. Don't get me wrong, I still have my Yoga practice ongoing but have added in dance, mindfulness and healthy eating to the mix and it has made all the difference in my life.




Why do I share this today - especially when we have "shelter in place" instituted in my county and there is widespread panic...we are trying to keep it together at home with a meal plan and a daily schedule...keep our good habits going ( exercise, eat healthy, practice gratitude and mindfulness) and trying to slowly shave off the bad ones...

Here are some of the things my family and I are practicing to get through this 3 week in-shelter mandate :
  1. Clean our counters thoroughly after every meal, moment we get up and when we go to sleep
  2. Wash our hands thoroughly with warm water and soap ( hand sanitizers are a bit scarce around our house, so we are making do with hand soap and applying aloe vera gel afterwards)
  3. Keep our distance (from people not cohabiting with us) 
  4. We don't leave the house unless we absolutely have to (walks, hikes in the solo or with the dog don't count...but obviously if you live in a super crowded area be cautious about that one)
  5. We have taken out board games, I have ear marked books I want to read, shows I want to binge watch ( Homeland, Just Add Magic (with my son), Murder She Baked...)
  6. My mother in law (who is visiting from India) and I are cooking healthy, nutritious food with the food we have on hand.
I usually have a lot of grains in my pantry { think Quinoa, Barley, Farro, Steel-Cut Oats, Brown Rice, Lentils and Beans ( I counted 12 different kinds) and we went to the Farmer's market and picked up a lot of greens  (  radish, mint, bell peppers, red onions, broccoli, celery, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, chili (wow...lots of stuff with C's) }. This was the inspiration for dinner (and a couple lunches this week)...anyone who knows me knows of my love for KHICHIDI...so here goes.

The 6 C- Immunity Building Khichidi



What you need
  1. 1/2 Cup Quinoa + 1/2 Cup Bulgur Wheat ( use Brown Rice or any other grain you have at home that you want to use up!) (washed in cold water and soaked with  green moong dal (with the skin) 1/2 hr in hot water I boiled in my electric kettle)
  2. 1 cup   Green Moong (with skin)
  3. Chopped Vegetables : Celery, Cauliflower, Carrots, Cilantro, Chili, Cabbage
  4. 3 cups water 
  5. 2 tsp Ghee
  6. 1 small knob of ginger, 1 medium chopped tomatoes
  7. Liquid Aminos (for seasoning), Avocado Oil (or any other oil), cumin seeds, Hing (asafoetida), turmeric powder, black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder
  8. 1 whole lemon and salt to taste
To Cook 
  1. Turn on your Instant Pot to Saute. Add your ghee....add hing, cumin seeds and the roughly chopped ginger and chopped tomatoes. Add turmeric and black pepper powder.
  2. Add the chopped vegetables
  3. Add all the pre-soaked grains and lentils to the instant pot and give it a stir for a minute. 
  4. Add Vegetable Broth/ Water (I added water)
  5. Add the Liquid Aminos/Salt and any other dry spices you add to your khichidi. I usually add roasted jeera powder which gives it a smokiness.
  6. Put the IP on 6 minutes, High Pressure
  7. When done open, Natural Release - taste for salt. 
  8. Now add fresh lemon juice and chopped cilantro. 
Enjoy with a cup of Kefir...now on to my binge watching Homeland and then practicing a few BollyX choreos on demand 😊😊

1 comment: