Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Life and a bowl of Chili...


I came back from work and sat down with K2 for 15 minutes going over what was in my pantry and if I was really up for cooking. I tried to talk myself out of cooking...hmm I had the beans soaking but did not really have any ground turkey/chicken, so Chili wasn't happening today...so how about K1 and I hit the road and have some uncomplicated capellini at Pasta?
Yet, I kept coming back to the bowl of chili at home...so I improvised. I took what was in my spice rack, freezer and pantry and tried to create "kitchen magic". The boombox in the kitchen was playing my favorite song from a movie from aeons back - "Anand"...

I chopped and I cut and I sauted and I left a pot to slow cook its way to chili heaven...no meat, no problem...there was chicken sausage in the freezer, that should do...no Cilantro...hmm let's get some thyme from the garden. Cooking is so much like living...you try to maximize and when you know you can't you "make do" and the end results can be surprisingly good or surprisingly bad...I guess it is also one's perspective.

Here's the song from Anand that I was listening to -Zindagi Kaisi Hai Paheli (ironically one of Bapa's favorite songs) :



The song I am talking about is titled – Zindagi Kaisi Hai Paheli…very loosely translated it says -

Life is such a puzzle,
Brings laughter one day and tears the next…
Sometimes the mind settles down to think…
And at other times it dares to become aware and dream….
One day the dreamer will go way ahead of his dreams.

Beautiful lives have lived here,
Shared pain, sorrow, happiness together…
If you stay too quiet,
Life will walk ahead of you unaware of your existence…


Very profound meaning for a short sweet song...now I plan to go and enjoy my hot bowl of chili with cornbread and the 2 K's for company. Hope your evening was as food filled and thoughtful as mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment