Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Half Priced Sushi and Peter Senge


Have you had weeks in your life where Peter Senge's principle of Learning Disabilities suddenly makes sense - I had read the "Fifth Discipline" in 1991 and I have to admit that a lot of what he talked about took a couple more years to get internalized in my system. There are of course days when I have to give myself pep talks on - Me not being just my position but moving beyond to objectively look at all I have experienced and internalized over the years. Learning has come in the form of organizational learning, on-the-job learning and most importantly life's learnings that I am applying to the work on hand.

My 2 and half year old son has taught me a lot about Product Management -
(A) How to prioritize and focus on the most important things
(B) Say No when it makes sense to say No (Other than Mama and Dada, his first word probably was No)
(C) He asks for help when he knows he is overwhelmed (he makes a pitiful face and says Help!)...Applying that principle at work requires more finesse but I am learning (Isn't a Learning Organization all about Shared Vision and Team Work).

The past 2 weeks have been hectic with work deliverables but the weekend has been a peaceful respite - we took K2 to the Zoo and to the temple.

Yesterday was a very warm day and we made our trek upto San Mateo to buy Non-Fat Icecream Yogurt and passed by this really crowded Japanese Market -- when I asked someone about the crowd...I learnt about this half-priced Sushi Deal at 6.30 PM. What can I say...I didn't pass up on a good deal ...I snagged a couple Sushi Bento Boxes - Vegetarian California Rolls (no raw fish for me )...What a deal ! Don't ask me what is for lunch tomorrow -- now you know.

Other than that hanging out and about with the family...introspection is my middle name this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment