Thursday, August 22, 2013

Let's Eat Toast...

I got an email this week which pretty much read like this -
"Thank you for sharing your blog.  I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed reading this post and a few others on your blog as time permitted over the weekend.  I actually printed out your seven steps to a healthy you as they seem very sensible and within reach – no crazy diets or strange supplements – just common sense things that seem fairly easy to incorporate."
To say that it made my day is an understatement... I started this blog as a stress buster initially, the reason I put so much of my heart and soul into it is because it was (and still is) my way of reaching my Bapa...my blog brought him relief (from hospital treatments,  chemo & boredom), pride (too much of it in his daughter's ability)  and happiness (because the topics close to my heart were close to his too K2, Food and Work)...and he always always egged me to go on and do what I loved which is write...

The past couple days have been busy and I have been overworking (intentionally)...I believe we set our own pace and I set very hard deadlines for myself this week...I worked extra hard in the Zumba classes and by Thursday I was ready to collapse from exhaustion...I was seeing doubles of the spreadsheet I was working on...when K2 walked up to me and asked me - Ma, what is for dinner? My first reaction was to snap, the second reaction was to order chinese...I was bone tired and willing to cut corners...yup! exhaustion and irritability makes good sense fly out of the window. However, I dragged myself  away from Castle...this fabulous new find on TV, it was 7.40 PM. As we walked to the Kitchen I racked my head on what I could put on the table in 15 minutes which was healthy, balanced and  nutritious (tall order I know!)...out came my handy cutting board...one minute later  I had chopped one apple, one peach and added both to the Blendtec with one packet of Amazing Greens, 72% Guittard Dark Chocolate, 8 Almonds, 2 Oz Baby Kale (EarthBound Deep Greens), 4 Oz Dreams Hazel Nut Blend and I had this smoothie ready in 37 seconds which K1 consumed in literally 3 minutes ( 240 calories with < 15 g of sugar (all from the fruits), 8 gms of fiber and 8 grams of protein). I toasted bread  and spread an amazing new find on top of it - Melt (butter alternative with coconut oil and flaxseed oil) on it. I also made a grown up version of my childhood favorite (Anda Bhurji or scrambled eggs) with Red Onions, Broccoli and Shitake Mushrooms)...I was done by 8.05 PM...dinner and cleaning was done and complete in 25 minutes straight...

Lesson of the day : learn to make do...and enjoy the making do....then even that will feel super-special. So did you eat your toast today?

No comments:

Post a Comment